Friday, August 6, 2010

Anticipated Research Challenges

There are some significant issues that I can foresee in implementing my plan. As a reminder, my plan is to research the causes of disproportionately low number of minority students, and particularly African American student participation in extra-curricular activities.

1. a. The primary concern I have in doing this involves the social reception of the plan, itself. Race is such a hot button issue that many do not like to bring it up or recognize problems when they exist, at all. Many people simply choose to "look the other way" and don't want to recognize the importance of diversity. Or, perhaps, they don't think there is anything that can be done, since basically, extra-curricular activity is voluntary and it would be impossible to force students to get involved.

b. Others may simply think that because this project does not have a direct link to core subject curriculum that it is not a worthwhile project to undertake. Therefore receptiveness in the data or even participation in finding the data could possibly be lacking.

c. Other challenges involve the logistics of conducting the research. I anticipate a challenge in developing the surveys and coming up with questions to ask in interviews. The questions will need to be pointed and direct, but sensitive to people's own feelings and background. Futher, this is the kind of subject that can easily devolve into subjects or side-subjects that are irrelevant to the research. Staying completely on topic will be a challenge.

2. Here is how I plan to address these issues:

a. Be sensitive. Approach every interviewee with the knowledge that everyone's opinions are based on a unique and varied person history regarding race and race relations. Therefore, I will not enter into a line of questioning attempting to push a particular adgenda other than the stated research inquiry. While being sensitive to my interview subjects it will also be important to be direct with the questions. Mitigated questioning on difficult topics can make the interviewee think that I believe there is something wrong with the line of questions. The questions should be direct, unnapoligetic, but keep in mind the sensitive nature of the topic.

b. For those who do not feel that this this topic is worthwhile I will need to find research and a basis for my claim that core subject success is bolstered by extra and co-curricular involvement. At the moment, I believe that this information is out there, but have yet to get my hands on anything concrete. And, if some still do not wish to recognize the importance of the research that is their choice. Hopefully, however, those leaders of the school who make decisions will be receptive to the idea of improving co-curricular involvement and recognize the data.

c. As for developing the research itself, as I stated before the questions will need to be sensitive, but direct. This will also help in keeping the interview on topic and free of diversion.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that it might be challenging to find the very specific information you are looking for. However, I feel strongly that there will be a lot of information about how being in extra curricular activities helps a student prepare to be an adult even if they learn nothing more than time management.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kyle, I think your research topic is something that can make a huge impact within your school district. I was coach for 13 years and we all know that kids are going to join something - hopefully it something extra-curricular instead of a gang. I think we could all benefit from an inquiry that answers how we can get more kids involved in extra-curricular activities. In regards to how you're going to bring this research to plan into action, I would first contact your administration to find out how "they" want you set up your questionnaires. Although your intentions are for bettering the lives of the students in your school district, we live in the world of litigation and like you said - race is a "hot button issue." I wish you good luck on your research and look forward to seeing your results.

    ReplyDelete